Title I Schoolwide Programs
A schoolwide program (SWP) is a comprehensive reform strategy designed to upgrade the entire educational program in a Title I school. Its primary goal is to ensure that all students, particularly those who are low-achieving, demonstrate proficient and advanced levels of achievement on State academic achievement standards.
Schoolwide programs must address the needs of all students in the school, but particularly the needs of children who are members of the target population of any federal education program whose funds are included in the schoolwide program. Research shows that to close the achievement gap in high priority schools, a school’s entire educational program must be improved. The schoolwide program assists in this process by requiring research-proven programs and activities to be incorporated into the school’s curriculum.
A schoolwide program permits a school to use Title I funds and other federal education program funds and resources to improve the entire educational program of the school in order to raise academic achievement for all students. Schoolwide programs have greater flexibility in spending Title I funds to engage in reform strategies that increase the amount and quality of learning time and help provide a high-quality curriculum for all children. Flexibility in the use of funds is tied to increased achievement by students at all levels by allowing schools to integrate their programs, strategies, and resources.
A well-designed and implemented schoolwide program touches all aspects of the school’s operation and offers an appropriate option for high-poverty schools seeking to improve achievement for all students, particularly the lowest achieving. Schoolwide programs:
- Plan for comprehensive, long-term improvement.
- Serve all students with highly-qualified teachers and paraprofessionals.
- Provide continuous learning for staff, parents, and the community.
- Use research-based practices to develop and implement enriched instruction for all students.
- Use inclusive approaches to strengthen the school’s organizational structure.
- Consolidate resources to achieve program goals.
- Engage in continuous self-assessment and improvement.