Student Services: Student Records » California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE)

California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE)

California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE)
If you didn’t graduate from high school because you failed the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE), you now have an opportunity to get your diploma. A new state law – Senate Bill 172 signed by Governor Brown on Oct. 7, 2015 – allows you to get your diploma if you passed all of the graduation requirements of your graduating class, but did not pass CAHSEE. Per state law, diplomas cannot be issued until after Jan. 1, 2016. You can submit an online request to obtain your high school diploma or visit us in-person at Student Services Department.
Please allow 10 weeks to process CAHSEE diploma from the date your request is received by the Student Services Department.
Requests are processed on a first come, first served basis. We do not offer same day or rush service. No exceptions.
What is Senate Bill 172?
Gov. Jerry Brown signed a law in October 2015, suspending passage of the California High School Exit Exam (CAHSEE) as a requirement for graduation. Students who received a passing grade in all of their required courses, and met all of the other graduation requirements except for the CAHSEE, are now eligible to receive their diplomas. This law applies to students who would have received their diplomas in 2003-04, or in a subsequent year.
What do I have to do to receive my diploma?
Complete the application in-person or online. Your student records will be reviewed, and you will receive your diploma in the mail once the District has verified that you have are eligible for graduation. SB172 says school districts can begin issuing diplomas after Jan. 1, 2016.
I completed some of my high school courses in Adult School. Am I still eligible for my diploma?
Yes, students who earned course credit in Adult Education programs are eligible to receive a diploma.
Will my diploma be issued for the school and the year I would have graduated?
Your diploma will be issued for the last Lynwood Unified School District you attended, but will be for the year 2016.
Will I have to pay for a diploma?
No. Under SB172, all costs for processing and issuing your diploma will be incurred by Lynwood Unified School District.
I’m not sure if I’m eligible for my diploma. What should I do?
Complete the application in-person or online.  Your student records will be reviewed. If you are not eligible, the District will advise you what courses you are missing and provide options for how you can earn these credits and complete the graduation requirements.
My sibling is currently a senior in high school. Will he have to pass the CAHSEE?
No. SB172 suspends CAHSEE as a requirement for the Classes of 2016, 2017 and 2018.